Please let me know if you find any errors, or if you know of a link that should be included!
International | Argentina | Australia | Austria | Belgium | Denmark | Finland | France | Germany | Iceland | Italy | Japan | The Netherlands | New Zealand | Norway | Russia | Spain | Sweden | Switzerland | United Kingdom | USA
- Euskal Herriko Trikitixa Elkartea, () which stands for Basque Trikitixa Organisation, I think. Amongst others, the site mentions an Trikitixa Day in Getxo, April 22, 2001.
- The Accordionists & Teachers Guild, International (formerly the Accordion Teachers Guild, International) is dedicated to the advancement of the accordion, through raising of teaching standards and promotion of all aspects of the accordion. They will organise the 2010 ATG "70th Anniversary Celebration" and "Anthony Galla-Rini International Competition for Classical Accordion" on July 21-25, 2010 in Santa Clara, California.
- The Confederation Internationale des Accordéonistes (CIA) aims to promote international excellence in the accordion world, amongst others by organising the yearly Coupe Mondiale competition
Center for the Study of Free-Reed Instruments
at the Graduate School and University Center of The City
University of New York (director: Allan W. Atlas)
is devoted to fostering and serving as a resource for scholarly
research on all aspects--organology, sociology, repertory,
performance practice, etc.--of all free-reed instruments.
Between 1999 and 20002 it published the
- The Frosini Society, based in Sweden, was founded in 1984. The society tries to stimulate young accordionists and get them acquainted with the music of Pietro Frosini and also other old famous accordion stars, amongst others by giving a yearly award and by a yearly competition. Their wesbsite includes a huge collection of on-line recordings by Carl Jularbo, Gervasio Marcosignori, Pietro Deiro, Pietro Frosini (obviously), Toralf Tollefsen and numerous others. It used to, anyway -- most of the contents is now "members only".
- TheInternational Accordion Society was founded in Poland in 1991. It's aim is "To promote and elevate the classical accordion culture throughout the world. To promote and preserve the serious accordion music of our time by fostering its performance through education, exchanges, festivals and workshops."
- The International Concertina Association works to promote the music and playing of the various forms of concertina (Anglo, Duet and English)
- AIDA, the Asociación Internacional de Acordeonistas, () is based in Buenos Aires. It is a non-profit organisation that aims to unite musicians world-wide, amongst others by organising concerts, contacts with other accordion organisations, sharing literature, and by organising a national accordion day.
- The Accordion Society of Australia publishes a quarterly magazine, Accordion Review. It organises its 34th International Festival and 35st annual congress in Melbourne, Victoria on July 4 - 10, 2005.
- The Australian Accordion Teachers Association
- Harmonikaverband Österreichs () was founded in 1963 as a merger of the Österreichische Harmonikaverband and the Akkordeonverband Österreichs, both founded in 1953. It is aimed at the accordion, including the Steyrische, as well as the harmonica (mouth organ), and organises competitions, festivals, etc.; it is the Austrian member of the Confederation Internationale des Accordéonistes (CIA). It publishes "Harmonika-Forum" 3 to 4 times a year.
- Muziekmozaïek was founded 2001 in a merger of the Volksmuziekfederatie (Folk Music Federation) and Jazz Vlaanderen.The former was founded in 1989 with the aim of conserving folk music in Flanders, old and new, and promoting it both at home and abroad. To that purpose it organises a yearly summer school, concerts, and it publishes a quarterly magazine, Goe Vollek.
- The Danske Harmonikaspilleres Landsforbund, () the Danish National Accordion Organisation. It has a quarterly publication, "Harmonikaspilleren".
- Suomen Harmonikkaliitto (the Finnish Accordion Society) has ca. 5000 members, mostly amateurs and "accordion-fans". It publishes the "Hanuri"-magazine 4 times per year. It is affiliated to the Suomen Harmonikkainstituutti () (the Finnish Accordion Institute), located in Ikaalinen (where the Sata-Häme festival is held, ca. 200 km North from Helsinki). This institute, supported by the Finnish Ministry of Education, features collections of music, records, videos, books, archive of the accordion music; an accordion museum; publications (records, sheet music); research; seminars and courses; and in September, 2001 it organised the first International Lasse Pihlajamaa Competition.
- Le Collectif Accordéon diatonique de Bretagne with their online magazine "Paroles d'Anches". The site includes tablature for a number of tunes by amongst others Bernard Loffet, Yann Fañch Perroches and Roger Poitevin.
- accodeon.com, () accordion.com's French site
"an independent magazine with articles, conversations, opinions and
business information, critical and professional".
Appears in separate issues, part I (end of 1995) costs DEM 13,00 + DEM 2,00
postage (to the Netherlands?)
Available in the Netherlands from
Burg. van Roijensingel 4
8011 CS Zwolle
is the magazine of the
Deutscher Akkordeonlehrer-Verband (DALV). It appears irregularly,
price ca. DEM 10.00 per issue. DALV membership DEM 96.00.
Deutscher Harmonika-Verband e.V.
is a large German organisation for accordion and accordion orchestras.
Its magazine Harmonika International is a "Zeitschrift
für Musik, Unterhaltung und Freude der Harmonika".
4 issues per year. Subscription DEM 24.00 + DEM 10.00 postage
(abroad as well)
- Akkordeonjugend Baden-Württemberg ()
- DHV Landesverband Bayern ()
- DHV Bezirk Karlsruhe ()
- DHV Bezirk Rheinland-Pfalz ()
- DHV Landesverband Niedersachsen ()
- DHV Landesverband Nordrhein-Westfalen ()
- DHV Bezirk Ruhr ()
- Saarländischen Akkordeonverband ()
- DHV Bezirk Dreiländerecke
- DHV Bezirk Breisgau ()
is a "Fachjournal mit fachspezifischer Information" of the
Initiativkreis Klassisches Akkordeon Berlin e.V. (IKAB).
The magazine is free; one can become "ordentliches Mitglied"
(proper member) of IKAB for DEM 120.00 (?) per year, or
"förderendes Mitglied" (furthering member) for DEM
40,00 (?) per year
forum akkordeon z.H. Herr Gerhard Scherer
c/o Musikschule Kreuzberg
tel. and fax +49-30-8325534
is a monthly accordion newspaper.
Annual subscription is 36 Euro (with postage worldwide).
As "Vereinigte Musikauslieferung" they sell
books about the accordion (such as Friedrich Lips: The Art of Bayan Playing)
and CDs with accordion music.
- The very respectable Zeitschrift für Neue Musik (founded in 1834 by Robert Schumann) is not normally devoted to the accordion, but I would like to draw your attention to the February 1994 issue, a theme issue about the accordion ("after 160 years").
- The Samband íslenskra harmonikuunnenda () (the Association of Icelandic Accordion Societies?) seems to organise a yearly festival; the last was held in Neskaupstað, July 7 - 10, 2005.
- Associazione Promozione Arte, founded by Renzo Ruggieri, organises various festivals: the Accordion Art Festival, and the Pineto Accordion Jazz Festival In the past it also organised the Dolci Romori Jazz Festival (last held 2007), and it organised the first Etnie Musicali festival (still going under a separate organisation). The association also has published a few CDs.
- Fisarmoniae () is an (online) newsletter, published irregularly. Or not anymore, perhaps -- the last edition published is the January - June, 2003 one. It is affiliated to the Associazione Italiana di Fisarmonica Classica (A.I.F.C.).
- The Japan Accordion Association publishes a magazine "Accordionist". In 2005 they organised the Accordion Summer Festa 2005 in Tokyo on August 25 - 31; part of the festival was the 4th JAA International Accordion Competition.
(as of September 2001, formerly "Accordenkrant")
is a publication of Stichting Nederlandse Accordeon Promotie.
The aim of that society is "promotion and furthering of
the accordion and
anything that is somehow connected with that or might help"
Subscription: EUR 25 per year, 10 issues per year.
"Diatonic newsletter", a publication of
Stichting Volksmuziek Nederland.
(society for folk music in the Netherlands).
The news letter is issued 4 times per year, and deals with
diatonic instruments, as its name suggests, and with diatonic accordions
in particular. It contains interviews, reviews of events, CDs and music books,
a diary, and other article series, as well as a sheet music.
Subscription: € 15.00 per year, abroad € 18.00 per year.
Editor: Karin van der Veur.
Laan van de Bork 380
7823 RJ Emmen
Len Killick makes a German translation of DN with occasional additional "local" articles (on an irregular basis).
is subtitled "The only independent accordion magazine".
Each issue of Klank contains a leading article by
Johan de With, until recently about the history of the accordion family.
Also reviews of CDs, sheet music, squeezebox events, and a calendar.
4 issues per year, subscription EUR 18.00, abroad EUR 25.00.
giro 806.301 of Klank, Bellingwolde.
Editor: Millie Goumans.
9663 AJ Nieuwe Pekela
is the Nederlandse Organisatie voor Accordeon en Mondharmonika.
(Dutch Organisation for Accordion and (mouth) harmonica).
Its two-monthly magazine, Samenspel,
contains tests, opinionating articles, reviews of music and CDs,
etc., in the area of accordion en mouth harmonica.
NOVAM is the Nederlandse Organisatie voor Accordeon en Mondharmonika. The aim of this organisation is to gain respect for the making of music in general and for the making of accordion and harmonica music in particualar. It stimulates the developement thereof and and promotes the growth of the associated societies, and society and individual members.
founded september 1993, aims at professional accordionists.
Its aim is to encourage contact between professional accordionists,
by means of publications and orientation days; support for teachers and
conductors; (co-)organising serious concerts; a help desk for
accordionists, literature, education and instruments;
a job list for performing and teaching musicians, conductors
and jury members.
Board: Ruud Smit (business affairs) en Hans van der Maas
(artistic affairs and editor).
The two-monthly newsletter is, or rather was, called Prof'Acc Nieuwsbrief -- it isn't published at the moment. There is a Stichting Cajun en Zydeco Nederland (society Cajun and Zydeco, the Netherlands) that publishes a magazine with an concert calendar. The address is
4007 VW Tiel
- The New Zealand Accordion Association organises the South Pacific Accordion Championships and the New Zealand Accordion Championships and Festival in Auckland, New Zealand, on May 30 - June 1, 2008 in Auckland. They also organise concerts, workshops, socials, etc., and they bring out a newsletter every 2 to 3 months.
- The Norske Trekkspilleres Landsforbund () is the Norwegian national accordion organisation. it's magazine "Trekkspillnyt" is published 5 times a year.
- Norske Trekkspilleres Landsforbund Rogaland Krets () (that's the Rogaland district of the Norwegian national accordion society)
- NyGammalt i Norden is a folk music and dance magazine covering the Nordic countries.
- The Russian Union of Accordionist () (Российский союз гармонистов, баянистов, аккордеонистов)
- Associació Catalana d'Acordionistes () (ACDA) [website under construction] is an association that supports accordion events in Catalonia. They publish a small magazine every two months and often organize concerts, seminars, etc., from folk music to classical.
- Associación Galega de acordeonistas () the Galician Accordion Association, organises amongst others a yearly national accordion competition -- the 50th of which will be held in 2007
the Basque Accordion Association,
aims to promote the accordion music, and artists and future artists.
'3rd International Composition Competition "FRANCISCO ESCUDERO"'
(for accordion solo and chamber music works).
The prize ceremony will be held on Saturday September 18, 2010 in Zarautz.
Also, they organize the annual
"Arrasate Hiria" International Accordion Competition,
the 18th of which will be held in Mondragón on December 4 - 8, 2010,
together with the 31st Guipuzcoano Accordion Competition and
the 23rd Guipuzcoano Accordion Festival.
- The first issue of Metamorfosis () is online, in PDF and in HTML format -- appearing nine years after the zero issue. It contains amongst others essays about accordion education, extracts from the Spanish education law that deal with music education, tables of contents of books such as Pierre Monichon's "L'Accordéon" and Friedrich Lips' "The Art of Bayan Playing", interviews, and literature (as in stories and poems). Issue number 2 is available as well (in PDF)
- UNAC - Unión de Acordeonistas () was founded in 2006, and aims to promote the accordion in all its aspects and styles in Spain. It is a corresponding member of the Confederation Internationale des Accordéonistes (CIA).
- Sveriges Dragspelares Riksförbund, the Accordionists' Organisation of Sweden. Their quarterly publication is "Dragspelsnytt".
- Sveriges Dragspels- och Accordeonpedagogers Förbund, () the Swedish Accordion Teachers' Society. Its magazine "Dragbladet" was published quarterly; the society disbanded in 2006.
- Music society Vårat Gäng () is a society with members all over Sweden and abroad, whose aim it is to help ill and needy musicians. To that purpose they are present at many dragspelsstämmor.
- A.R.M.A, () the Association Romande Musiciens Accordéonistes. They publish a magazine, "l'Accordéon".
- Eidgenössisches Harmonika- und Akkordeon-Musikverband, () the Swiss national organisation for accordion orchestras (or rather, an organisation of organisations for accordion orchestras).
Interessen Gemeinschaft Akkordeon,
founded January 2002, aims to promote contacts between accordion
teachers and other accordionists.
- Association des Accordéonistes du Jura Bernois () (AAJB)
- The Kantonaler Harmonika Verband Bern () has some 26 member orchestras
Fédération Cantonale Neuchâteloise des Accordéonistes
(FCNA) was created in 1961 from the merger of the "Union
Régionale des Sociétés
Accordéonistes" and the "Association Cantonale
Neuchâteloise des Accordéonistes".
- The Schweizerischer Akkordeon Lehrer Verband, () / () (Association Suisse des Professeurs d'Accordéon), the Swiss Accordion Teachers Association.
- Fédération Cantonale Valaisanne des Accordéonistes () (FCVSA)
- Fédération Cantonale Vaudoise des Accordéonistes () (FCVdA)
- UK based accordion magazines
- Accordion Profile Magazine is edited by Heather Smith and is published at the beginning of each month
Accordion Times International
is a monthly magazine.
It is edited by Gina Brannelli and Loretta Rolston.
They organise the North West Accordion Festival near Blackpool (formerly Bridlington International Accordion Festival or Caister Accordion Weekend).
- Accordion World Magazine [there's a form there for a free trial copy] is published 6 times a year at a price of £ 13.75, and features events, accordions for sale, CD and music reviews, international news, clubs, photos, education and more. It has 36 pages and is produced in colour. After the death of founder editor David Keen in February 2007 it is now edited by (and available from) Neil Fodden, 64 Church Street, Church Gresley, Swadlincote, Derbyshire DE11 9NP, England. Email: email@example.com. A review of Accordion World Magazine
- Box and Fiddle Magazine is the magazine of The National Association of Accordion and Fiddle Clubs. It is a monthly publication (A4, usually about 44 pages).
- The National Accordion Organization of the United Kingdom (NAO)
- Accordion USA, another site provided by Accordions Worldwide, with accordion news from the United States, features, and a club directory.
- The American Accordionists' Association aims to promote the accordion to the general public, and to support the accordion community, by organising competitions, workshops, etc., and by publishing a quarterly newsletter. They organise a yearly festival, which will next be held July 14 - 18, 2010 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, with competitions, concerts, workshops, etcetera.
Closet Accordion Players of America
is open to anyone who plays the
accordion or whose life has been affected by an accordion player. Co-dependent
spouses are welcome, as are adult children of accordion players.
- The Florida Accordion Association, founded September 2000, is dedicated to promoting the accordion through public awareness. They publish a quarterly newsletter.
- The Accordion Teachers Association of Massachusetts sponsors the annual New England Music Competition and Festival. The next one is April 3 - 5, 2009, in Newton, Massachusetts.
Mugwumps Instrument Herald
is as a magazine (now online) about folk instruments. It is mainly about
stringed instruments, but the occasional article about accordions
or concertinas does appear, and often there are accordions or
- Northwest Accordion Society News is published quarterly by the Northwest Accordion Society, an umbrella organisation that promotes clubs and/or social events in the region encompassing British Columbia, Alaska, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon,all these states.
- The South East Accordion Association, founded in 2005, encompasses Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. Amongst others they maintain a list of accordion teachers and professional performers, and they publish a quarterly newsletter.
- The National Accordion Association (formerly the Texas Accordion Association) aims to promote performance of all types of music on the accordion and promote the accordion as a serious musical instrument. They do this amongst others by organising a yearly Convention, with workshops, orchestras and concerts -- the next one, the 2012 National Accordion Convention, will be held March 14 - 17 in Dallas, Texas. Also, they sponsor the National Button Accordion Festival, which will next be held May 25 - 37, 2012 (Memorial Day weekend) in Bessemer, Pennsylvania.